In your personal account for enhanced account security, it is possible to enable two-factor authentication.
Two-factor authentication, also known as two-step verification (DPA or 2FA), is a type of multi-factor authentication. DPA is a technology that provides user identification using a combination of two different components. The components vary, but the following combinations are most commonly used:
- password + code from SMS
- password + code from token (or app)
- password + code from email message
MCS services use a combination of "password + code from the application". Installation information and download links for one-time code generation apps are below:
Enabling two-factor authentication is available in the account settings on the "Security" tab by clicking the "Enable protection" button:
To successfully activate the function, you must:
- Download the Google Authenticator mobile app ( Android and iOS ) or Duo ( Android and iOS )
- Open the app and add a new account
- Scan the QR code in the application from your personal account
- Enter the confirmation code generated by the application and the password for your MCS account in your MCS account
- Confirm the entry with the "Enable" button.
As confirmation of the addition of the 2FA key in the next step, the window will display the backup access codes.
Logging into your account with 2FA enabled is done by the following steps
- Go to the site https://mcs.mail.ru and click the "Login" button
- Enter your account login and password
- Enter a one-time 6-digit code generated by the mobile application and confirm the entry with the "Login" button
Disabling 2FA is made in the account settings menu on the "Security" tab. To disable the function, enter the password for the current MCS account and the code from the application, confirm your entry with the "Disable" button.
For the convenience of storing and using a large number of account passwords, backup codes and other confidential information in a virtual storage protected by a master password, locked using the PBKDF2 standard , you can use third-party software, for example:
The password database can be stored both locally and synchronized between other trusted devices.