How to get a Windows Server license
A licensed copy of the Windows Server operating system is preinstalled in the created virtual machine instance based on Windows. A licensed copy is activated automatically after creating an instance. If an OS activation error occurs, you should contact technical support and specify the virtual machine ID.
What other licenses can I get
The list of provided standard licenses is limited, you can get licenses for:
- Microsoft Windows Server Standard
- Microsoft SQL Server Standard
- Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise
- Microsoft Remote Desktop Services
However, if you need to obtain a license for a software product that is not in this list, you can contact technical support with information about the product and the term of use.
What is a core license
Microsoft provides several licensing models to help you make the most of your budget:
- To the core . This licensing model grants access to an unlimited number of users or devices. Applies to operating systems and SQL server.
- Per user . Designed to provide access to a license for one user for an unlimited number of servers. It exists only for SQL Server and Remote Desktop service.
Per-core licensing under the Microsoft Virtual Machine Licensing Rules means you must license each virtual core in an instance. Regardless of the number of cores in an instance, licenses are subject to every 2 virtual CPUs. Here are some examples:
- VM with 1 CPU. You must purchase at least 1 license for 2 vCPUs.
- VM with 2 CPU. Enough 1 license for 2 vCPUs.
- VM with 3 CPUs. Requires 2 licenses for 2 vCPUs.
Can I get a discount
Licensing discounts are not provided under the Offer
Is there software support from Microsoft
All questions regarding Microsoft software usage guidelines, as well as technical questions about software products, should be directed to Microsoft technical support.
Can i use my license
If you have a previously purchased license for Microsoft software products, it cannot be used on the MCS platform
Can i buy a license
MCS provides rental licenses on a monthly basis. Redemption of a license for permanent use, both on and off the MCS platform, is not possible.